Things I have already been doing to reduce my personal environmental impact:
- Switched from disposable razors to a reusable handle with disposable blades.
- Switched from can shaving cream to old-fashioned shaving soap (Burt’s Bees) and shaving brush in a mug.
- We are slowly changing out lights in the house.
We added power-bars to most electronics and *try* to remember to turn the bars off at night.
- Switched from a table-top PC to Laptop (though I sprung for the really fast Alienware.)
- Working on the paperless classrooms (see earlier posts).
- I started using a glass bottle for water instead of plastic bottles and refill it at home and at school. This one significantly reduced our trash output.
- We recycle paper for drafts and I bring used paper from work home to use for drafts here (it just goes into recycling there with only one side used).
- We used the AC almost not at all this summer.
- Subscribed to magazines I like rather than picking them up at the stand.
Things I am planning on:
- Putting mini-blinds on all windows for winter.
- Reducing over-all trash output by cooking from scratch more (we do a lot already, but when we get busy with writing and school, takeout starts looking really nice and easy).
- Looking for electronic versions of magazines.
Things that I still can’t do:
- Giving up the morning paper on the subway.
- Composting. We live in an apartment. I know about the worms in a box thing, but . . . yuck!
Well, that’s a start anyway.